Minnesota does not title utility, boat, or snowmobile trailers with a gross vehicle weight of less than 4,500 pounds, unless there is a lien.
Do I need to Transfer a Permanently Registered Minnesota Trailer?
- Yes! Yes! Yes!
What Document(s) Do I Need to Get from the Seller?
Some permanently registered small trailers are titled in Minnesota. If you are unsure whether or not your trailer is titled, please visit us with the registration number from the trailer and we can check the title status for you. If the trailer is not titled you can transfer the trailer with one of the following:
- A bill of sale that includes ALL of the information below:
- The vehicle year, make and vehicle identification number (VIN)
- The date of sale
- The buyer’s printed name & signature
- The seller’s printed name and signature
- A PS2000 (Application to Title or Register a Motor Vehicle):
- Seller signs in Section B (Click Here for an example)
- A Minnesota Registration card for non-titled trailers with an ownership reassignment area on the reverse side. Registration Card Sample
- Seller signs where indicated
- Buyer completes the rest
The Permanently Registered Trailer I bought has a title?
- Yes, some permanently registered small trailers are titled. If you were given a title, please Click Here to be taken to the instructions for transferring a titled vehicle.
What Document(s) Do I Need to Complete and Bring in?
Any alteration or erasure to the sales document will void it. This includes crossing out or using correction fluid/tape on incorrect information once it has been written. If an alteration occurs, you will need a new bill of sale or you will need to provide one of the alternate documents listed above signed both buyers and sellers. Please Contact Us with any questions.