Several types of specialty license plates are available for purchase, some are available for pick up in our office and some must be ordered and mailed directly to you from the State of Minnesota. See Special License Plate Information for image and information on specific plates.
Plates available in stock in our office:
- Critical Habitat plates including:
Deer, Loon, Fishing Angler, Chickadee, Lady Slipper, Buck, Pheasant, Moose, Turkey & Pollinator designs
- Support our Troops
- Minnesota Golf
- Remembering Victims of Impaired Drivers
- Minnesota State Parks
- Law Enforcement Memorial
New Plates available after January 1, 2024:
- Lion’s Club International – $25 initial contribution then minimum $5 annually thereafter
- Minnesota Pro-Sports Team Foundation – $30 annual contribution
- Minnesota Missing & Murdered Indigenous Relatives – $25 annual contribution
- “Black-Out” plate – $30 annual contribution (dedicated to DVS)
Please see Special License Plate Brochure for full list of available plates.
What do I Need for Specialty Plates?
In most cases you must be the vehicle owner and complete and sign an Application for Special Plates. Some plates can be issued and applied for with only the application, however other plates require additional information. Email Us for specific instructions.
For Veteran’s & Military plates you will need to complete and sign an Application for Special Plates AND in most cases provide an original or certified copy of your DD214 (discharge papers). For Military Organization Plates, you need to provide a copy of your organization membership card. Please visit DVS’s Veteran’s Plate Information page or Email or Call Us for additional information. If you are still on active duty, a letter from your commanding officer is acceptable.