Weather permitting; the City of Hutchinson Water Department will begin its annual fire hydrant flushing during the week of April 22, 2019. Flushing the entire city will take approximately three weeks. Please remember, this schedule may be altered due to weather or other conditions.
When hydrants are flushed, residents may experience short periods of cloudy or rusty colored water along with possible short-term low water pressure. The discolored water is caused by rust that can sometime accumulate on the interior of water mains. There is no adverse health threat associated with the rusty water but homeowners are advised not to wash clothing until the water at their taps runs clear. The discolored water generally clears up within one to two hours.
The City’s hydrant flushing program ensures:
- Drinking water standards are met while maintaining high water quality for our customers
- Treatment costs are minimized by reducing disinfection demands within the distribution system
- Water age is decreased in low flow areas
- Sediment and air are removed
- System hydraulics are improved
Hydrant flushing is regular maintenance of the water distribution system. While flushing hydrants, associated valves are exercised and lubricated to ensure proper function.